French Onion Soup & Gruyere Cheese
1 kilo onions sliced
1 tbs olive oil
2 tbs butter
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 sprigs thyme
3 tbs flour
7 cups beef stock
1 cup wine white
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper
8- 12 slices French bread 2 cm thick
200g Gruyere cheese
1. In a pot on medium-low heat, add oil and butter. Add sliced onions, stir cook for 25 minutes or until tender and caramelized.
2. Add sugar and salt for 5 minutes. Add flour cook for a further 2 minutes. Trying not to scorch the mixture.
3. Stir in 1 cup of sock and give mixture a good mix. Add the rest of the sock, wine, thyme and bay leaf. Simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Place soup in serving mug or bowl, then place French bread in a single layer on top of the soup. Sprinkle the cheese in a thick layer on top of the bread making sure to cover the edges of the bread to prevent burning.
6. Place in a 220c oven for about 10-12 minutes or until cheese has melted on top of bread.
I live in Adelaide (Australia) with my husband, my two adorable Norwegian cats ( Zeus and Zena ), a chicken, and a pigeon who now also thinks that he is a chicken! My ancestry is French so it goes without saying that my favourite place is Paris. The food, culture and atmosphere of Paris is nothing short of amazing.
I am a self taught home cook who loves big flavours in food. My passion for food surfaced when I was 10 years old, watching TV chef Ian Hewitson and learning different techniques. Since then, the food of Adrian Richardson and Jamie Oliver has been my inspiration. I love how one can create a healthy full flavoured meal from just the simplest of ingredients. I especially love chilli and garlic and use them in most of my food.
I enjoy hosting dinner parties for friends and family. Curries and rustic style dishes are my firm favorites and I know that my family and friends all agree! Just place it all in the middle of the table and let everyone help themselves enjoying great food with good company.
I create flavoursome low calorie recipes which are featured on the internationally known website Weigh Yourself Slim.
Whilst I enjoy cooking I still love to go out to restaurants, especially when you discover ones with amazing food and that you must try and replicate at home!
So welcome to CCKFOOD. It is my creative playground where I am able to share my love of good food with you all. Enjoy.